I love Thai food but unfortunately most aren't vegan. Follow this simple recipe for a vegan Fish Sauce free Tom Kha Pak. You definitely can add other veggies like broccoli, bok choy, green beans and sliced peppers to this recipe as well.
- 1T Grape Seed or Avocado Oil
- 1 Inch Ginger (Peeled and minced)
- 2 Stalks of Lemongrass (white parts only-thinly sliced then minced) *Also can use 2 teaspoons of lemongrass paste)
- 5C Vegetable Broth
- 5 Kaffir Lime Leaves (can find in Asian stores or on the international aisle at your local grocery store)
- 3 Carrots (peeled and sliced on a bias/diagonal cut)
- 2C Kale (Cut into thin 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 Can of coconut milk (can use full fat or lite, I however used full)
- 2T Vegan Fish Sauce or Coconut Aminos
- 1C Mushrooms rinsed, caps removed and sliced (I used Maitaki and Button Mushrooms)
- 1 Lime Juiced and Zested
- 1 Bunch of cilantro (save a couple sprigs for garnish)
- 2 Packs of Black Rice Noodles by Lotus (Can use brown rice Ramen as well)
- *Optional; Chili oil or Sriracha for garnishing
Place rice noodles in hot water NOT BOILING for 5 minutes. Soften noodles but not completely cooked through. It's ok if its still slightly stiff. (*Chef's note on bottom of recipe). Strain and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Set aside.
Place oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add ginger and lemongrass and a saute for 30-60 seconds, just until fragrant. Add vegetable broth, kaffir lime leaves, coconut milk, vegan fish sauce or coconut aminos. Stir, simmer and cover until carrots are cooked through. Now add mushrooms, lime zest and juice. Ladle soup into bowls then place noodles in the center. Garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs, chili oil and sriracha.
**Chef's note: Rice noodles can be tricky. They can go from perfect to sticky and fallen apart within seconds. They work best when slightly under cooked. Allow the hot soup when served to soften completely. DO NOT skip the step of rinsing them in cold water. That allows the noodles to stop cooking and rinses a lot of the starchy liquid out.