- 1 T Grape Seed or Avocado Oil
- 1 LB Vegan Grounds (I used Beyond Meat BEEFY Crumbles-NON FLAVORED)
- 1 large Onion (small diced)
- 3 Celery Stalks (small diced)
- 4 Carrots (small diced)
- 1 C Red Wine
- 4 Thyme Sprigs (chopped fine)
- 2 T flour
- 3 T Tomato Paste
- 2 T Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 C Veggie Broth (or Vegan Better Than Bouillon)
- 1 C Frozen Peas
- 6-7 Large Russet Potatoes
- 1/2 C Vegan White Cheddar (shredded)
- 1-2 C Almond Milk (warmed)
- 1 T Butter Flavored Coconut Oil (I use Nutiva) or Vegan Butter
- 1 t Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper tt
Preheat oven to 400°F
Prepare a pot of boiling water with salt. Once water is a rolling boil add potatoes. Cook until center is tender (all your doing is simply making mashed potatoes). While potatoes are cooking prepare a hot dutch oven or large pan.
Add oil then add onions, celery and carrots, cook for about 5-7 minutes until veggies are slightly translucent or edges are brown. Add vegan meat and mix well with veggies-cook for 2-3minutes. Add wine to the mixture and deglaze the pan by taking a spatula or wooden spoon to break up and meat bits and veggies from the bottom of the pan. Now add flour, thyme, tomato paste, worchestershire and broth. Reduce for a few minutes buy cooking on high and constantly stirring to allow the mixture to thicken slightly (roughly around 3-5 minutes). Last add peas, salt and pepper. Check seasoning and turn off heat.
Place potatoes, almond milk, cheese, butter, garlic powder salt and pepper in a mixing bowl and whip with a hand mixer on medium-high speed until smooth. Adjust if needed by adding more milk if too thick and more salt if its bland. You want a great flavor. Not too stick and not too runny.
Pour meat mixture evenly into an oven safe baking dish. It should fill the pan at least half of the way. Now pour mashed potatoes over the vegan meat and evenly spread across the dish. Place in oven and bake until top is golden. Allow to cool slightly before enjoying.
*TT= To Taste *T= Tablespoon *t= teaspoon *C=Cup